2012年5月8日星期二

Audioasis Interview Spotlight The Transmissionary Six

transmissionarysix.jpg
photo by Christopher Nelson

interview by Sharlese Metcalf

On Saturday, April 5th, Audioasis will broadcast live from High Dive for our monthly benefit show. This month, we are spotlighting the Seattle Public Library Foundation. KEXP is proud to put on a benefit show for this worthy cause and with a little help from our friends, The Transmissionary Six, we plan to get KEXP listeners excited about this show!

Audioasis Assistant Producer Sharlese Metcalf asked frequent Seattle Public Library user Paul Austin from The Transmissionary Six a few questions:

The Transmissionary Six – I Want To Deprogram You (MP3)

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.


Where is your favorite library branch?

Wallingford, because it’s closest to our apartment. Shout out to the W-Ford Library Scientists! They’re really nice there, and never get mad when I pick up thirty holds at one time using shopping bags. The restrooms close at five p.m., so I should also mention that my favorite Shell station is the one across the street from the branch. Shout out to my buds at Shell!

At your favorite branch, what section do you go to first?

The magazines. I can never bring myself to buy the Star, People, and US Weekly, but I’m as concerned as anyone if Lindsey is off the wagon, or if Angelina is still dissing Jen at fundraisers. Plus, I’ve got an informal pool going on which celebrity cracks and shaves their hair off next. My money is on Heather Locklear but I’ve got Larry King on a longshot as well. Beats the ponies.

How often do you go to the library?

I’m there now. Does that answer your question?

If you could create your own section in the library, what would it be?

It would be all photography collections, and they’d be shelved — here’s the good part, right? — in an actual working photo booth. I’ve put this in the suggestion box, but they haven’t done it. Apparently photo booths are cost prohibitive.

Do you have a favorite librarian?

I do, although she’s at a neighboring branch. I sit and wonder what kind of music she listens to. She seems like a Joanna Newsom fan, but I like her anyway. Let’s just say I’ve had a few fees waived in my time after a bit of friendly banter about her new hemp blazer.

What is the strangest or most interesting book you’ve looked for or checked out?

That would have to be ad#kt dk%xg kv&@ [name removed by editor to protect the innocent]

What are you reading now?

I always keep two going. Right now I’ve got the newest Thomas Pynchon and a Peanuts anthology. They go together really well. You could pretty much grab any Pynchon quote and put it in the panel where Linus is talking, and it fits great.

What is your perfect reading weather?

A sun-dappled table outside a fashionable cafe, where I can buy pastries with obscure French names. Good for celebrity sightings, too. I always bring my field glasses, because I’m stalking John Roderick.

Do you have any overdue fines? Do you pay them off or keep a running tab?

I’ll die with my boots on and my debts paid.

What advice would you give to first-time library users?

Make sure you know where the nearest Shell station is! These new restroom rules ‘n’ regs can be a buzzkill if you don’t have a contingency plan.

Hardcover or paperback?

Paperback; they nestle comfortably in my man-purse for the #16 bus ride downtown. Hardcovers are unwieldy and ostentatious. Nothing should be hardcover except for Winston Churchill autobiographies. Good doorstops.

Dewy Decimal or Library of Congress?

www.spl.org!

If your album was a book, what section would it filed under?

Large Print.


The Transmissionary Six – Edison Stare (dir. Heather Leaf)


Join us live at High Dive on Saturday night for a live broadcast of Mono in VCF (6PM) and The Dimes (8PM), with a showcase following of The Transmissionary Six, A Gun That Shoots Knives, Cancer Rising, and Mono in VCF with an encore performance. Proceeds benefit The Seattle Public Library Foundation.

In the meantime, here are four things you can do right now to get involved with the Seattle Public Library:

  1. Get or renew your library card!
  2. Attend All Ages Arts Night, Friday May 2nd 4 – 9 P.M.
  3. Go to any branch and ask for something good to read.
  4. Subscribe to our weekly calendar to find out about all our great events!
Related to the theme articles:

没有评论:

发表评论